After School Programs to Develop the Full Potential of Students
Our students not only have a strong academic experience, but also have opportunities to participate in our curricular enhancement programs. These programs include fine arts, performing arts, and athletics. We believe that these experiences are critical to the development of the full potential of our students.
Carter School of Excellence
5740 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
A Level 1 CPS Neighborhood School
The mission of our athletic program is to offer student-athletes, through participation in competitive athletics, an opportunity to experience meaningful growth, accomplishment, and success. As a Carter Cougar student-athlete you are a positive role model within our school and the community at large. As a student-athlete at our school, your sportsmanship goals should include:
- Maintaining at least a C+ in all classes, attend school daily, and exhibit positive behavior;
- Respecting the rules of the games, the officials who administer the rules, and their decisions;
- Respecting our opponents as fellow student-athletes,
- Refraining from engaging in all types of disrespectful behavior
- Looking at athletic participation as a potentially beneficial learning experience, whether you win or lose;
- Educating other students and fans to understand the rules of the game, and the value of sportsmanship.
At Carter School of Excellence, students have the opportunity to participate in the following sports:
- Girls and Boys basketball
- Girls on the Run
Fine and Performing Arts
Our extracurricular programs are designed to provide opportunities for students to extend their learning beyond regular school hours.
Girl Scouts: (K-8th grade Girls)
Girls Scouts will take place every Friday from 4 – 5, beginning October 30 until the end of the school year. Priority is given to girls who are not currently enrolled in other programming in order to provide enrichment options for all girls.
Boys and Girls Club of Chicago: (K-8th grade Students)
All Carter students are eligible to participate in after school programming through the Boys and Girls Club of Chicago. BGCC staff walks all Carter students after school to Coppin AME Church at 5633 S Michigan Ave.
Additionally, students have the opportunity to be invited to one of the extracurricular activities listed below.
- Saturday Academy (winter and spring)
- Scholar Academy (winter and spring)
In the past, individual teachers have led after school programming within their grade band. Samples of these extracurriculars are Alphabet Clinics, Animal Studies, Chess and Math Camp. Stay tuned to learn about the opportunities offered this year!